Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The big guys don't know either...

<<<<what do I do with this stuff? Is it compostable???

So, I’ve spent the last few days at an interactive media conference. Hundreds of people. Really smart people like Seth Godin and Arianna Huffington were there. The people who put together that “real women” Dove campaign, marketing folks from Toyota, American Express, and all of the big agencies were there - all wanting to hear what the next big thing is for the web. I went for the same reason: because I know how I use the web for myself, but I wanted to know what are companies doing to reach customers in new and interesting ways and what cool stuff can I look forward to seeing out there? There was a lot of opining. Buzzwords were thrown around. Hand gestures were abundant…
So…hours of speeches and workshops later…what’s the next big thing? You know what’s pretty awesome, is that nobody knows. None of these industry leaders know either. The only thing that companies know is that they have to relinquish control over what content may follow and attach to their brands online – the “consumer” wants the control and has the power to take what they’re trying to sell and make it their own.
As the ship’s captain of HOMEGROWN.org, knowing that my instincts are what must serve as my compass, I’m just hoping we can build a swank online pad that pulls in some of the cool stuff that we already love about the web and that it turns into a place where likeable, intelligent and creative people hang out.

In the name of research and curiosity…Could you all do me a favor and list the 5-10 actions you take when you turn on your computer in the morning – is email first? what’s your home page? Where do you go from there? Do you have a list of favorites or does the process change?
I'll send you a button for your troubles!

No comments: